Home > Insurance Lines > Personal > Property

What is Home/Property Insurance?

Protection is offered to Homeowners against loss or damage to their building and contents caused by fire, earthquake, hurricane, burglary and a wide range of other perils.

A. The Household Policy-Property Risks

Loss or damage to the building(s) compromising the insured’s private dwelling caused by any of the insured perils is covered.
Under the Buildings section cover is also provided in respect of:

  1. Architects’ and surveyors’ fees incurred in replacement of the building destroyed or damaged by an insured peril.
  2. Removal of debris costs and expenses incurred following damage by an insured peril.
  3. Workmen’s Compensation for domestic servants.
  4. Loss of rent incurred by the insured consequent upon damage to the building by an insured peril not exceeding a stipulated percentage of the sum insured on buildings.


Cover is provided in respect of loss or damage to the insured’s household goods and personal effects caused by an insured peril. COLFIRE normally requires details pertaining to electronic equipment, personal computer and for jewelry, a valuation may be required. Property used in connection with a trade, profession or business is not covered.

All Risks on Contents
It is possible to cover certain contents (usually jewelry and other valuables) on an ‘all risks basis’. The cover is wider than the named insured perils basis since cover is for loss of damage by any cause not excepted. Furthermore, cover may apply beyond the private dwelling to anywhere in Trinidad and Tobago, the West Indies or in the world (depending on what the insured chooses).

B. The Household Policy- Insured Perils

A household policy covers a comprehensive or wide range of perils. The following are the typical insured perils:

  1. Fire, lightening, explosion
  2. Hurricane, earthquake, volcanic eruption
  3. Aircraft or other Aerial Devices
  4. Theft (usually includes larceny or theft that does not involve entry or exit by forcible or violent means)
  5. Riot and Strike
  6. Bursting and overflowing of water tanks, apparatus or pipes
  7. Impact by Vehicles
  8. Malicious Damage
  9. Breakage of Fixed Glass and Sanitary Fixtures
  10. Damage by falling trees or parts thereof.

Some Policies also include:

  1. Collapse due to subsidence or landslip
  2. Smoke damage provided it is sudden, unusual and accidental
  3. Flood

C. The Household Policy – Liability Risks Covered

1. Public Liability
The insured is indemnified against all sums for which he shall become legally liable to pay as owner or occupier of the premises for an accident occurring in or about the premises and causing death or bodily injury to a third party or damage to third party property. Liability in respect of business risks is excluded .

2. Workmen's Compensation
The insured is indemnified in respect of his legal liability for personal injury by accident to any of his domestic servants in the course of their employment. Such legal liability may arise under the Workmen’s Compensation Act Ch.88:05 or at common law. Domestic servants whose employment is of a casual nature are excluded from the cover.
The above explanations give a summary of the type of cover available. For full details, including the exclusions and conditions that apply, please contact us at any of our offices.


You've spent a lifetime acquiring the things that have made your house a home. Yet they can all be gone in the twinkling of an eye. Do you know how much money you will have to spend to replace those items?

Insuring the contents of your home often costs twice as much as your home insurance. That's why COLFIRE has introduced HomeSafe Advantage - Insurance for contents , the contents cover you'll find ideal.

HomeSafe Advantage will allow you to insure your contents at the same low rate as your home insurance.

You can enjoy the benefits of HomeSafe Advantage once your home is protected by any of the following:

  • A Private Security Guard
  • Monitored Electronic Security System
  • Patrolled Security

The above explanations give a summary of the type of cover available. For full details, including the exclusions and conditions that apply, please contact us at any of our offices.


Quick Links

Get a Quote
Claims Settlement
Contact and Support

Mobile App

Your Own Network of
Quality Suppliers & Stores


800 CARE (2273)